Interested in knowing more about what a Legal Document Assistant is? Want to know how to become one in California?
A. Why Become an LDA?
- Looking for a career change
- Access to Justice for self-represented litigants
- Rewarding work that makes a difference
- Make money running a successful business
B. Minimum Requirements
- Meet Education Requirements (see Bus. Professions Code 6400, et seq.)
- Obtain a bond from a bond agency (approx $400 for a 2 year term)
- Register with the County clerk where you have your principal place of business
C. Business Essentials
- Office Space
- Client Management Software
- Phone System
- Software (form preparation, postage, etc).
- Equipment – efac, shredding
- Membership in a professional organization
D. Master Your Craft
- Read BPC sections 6400, et seq.
- Join organizations such as (CALDA) to get guidance on being an LDA
- Work with other professionals in your subject area (Attorneys, mediators, other LDAs)
- Network with other Legal Document Assistants)
E. Expand your Knowledge with MCLE
- LDAs are required to take MCLE before renewing their registration every 2 years
- Proof is a Signed Declaration submitted to the county clerk
- Business Cards
- Google “My Business” Page (free!)
- Advertise – Facebook, Yelp, LinkedIn, Craigslist
G. Want More Info:
P.O. Box #2751
Granite Bay, CA 95746
Here’s a presentation that I did regarding how to become a Registered Legal Document Assistant in California, as the membership chair for CALDA in May 2020.